Thursday, October 15, 2009

del del del..unwanted mails..bites me back

There were series of mails from our IT department warning us about servers being decommissioned. But first I postponed the needed, then forgot, and then ignored the FINAL WARNING.
What happens...
My lack of action bit me back and my solaris box was unusable

Having grown up with windows machines, unix is something I am still getting used to.
So I was so scaared of what happens

But it turns out that, the IT team had done a pretty good document which guided us step by step.
And in course I also learnt a couple of new things

- ypwhich - gives the NIS server the machine is currently using
-- you can also try "ypwhich another-machine-on-nw"

- /etc/resolv.conf - Defines which naming server to use
Eg - nameserver 129.147.9.5, where 129.147.9.5 is the ip address of the naming server used

No comments:

Post a Comment